Welcome to the Arkansas State University EHS Laboratory Inspection website! The main goal of this page is to help researchers and support staff achieve the highest level of success on annual laboratory inspections. All the information you need to be successful can be found below. And, as always, if you have questions, feel free to contact us.
Goals and Objectives of Inspection
- Identify high risk safety and compliance conditions within the lab,
- Provide recommendations for safety compliance and best practices within laboratories
- Schedule inspection dates and allow for appointments if necessary.
- Identify items for inspection prior to the appointment, and explain why the items are included,
- Ensure those responsible for labs are part of the process (unless refused by principal investigator),
- Perform the inspection in the presence of a lab representative (principal investigator or designee),
- Explain deficiencies found during the inspection at the moment they are identified,
- Report the majority of the findings to the principal investigator,
- Prioritize the identified deficiencies and determine an appropriate course of corrective action,
- Revisit labs to ensure the correction of deficiencies of high consequence or number,
- Promote EHS laboratory support services available to lab researchers,
- Conduct laboratory inspections in a professional, courteous manner.
- Adhere to all of the safety rules deemed necessary by the principal investigator and EHS.