Support services provided by the Office of Disability Services includes: orientation and registration, intake and assessment, note taking, test administration with accommodations, E-Texts (texts in alternate format), computer and technology demonstrations for all students, physical adaptations inside and outside of the classroom, guidance and counseling, priority registration, and Interpreter Services.
Every Fall term, students are required to make an appointment to meet with their Disability Services Counselor to review and request their accommodations. For the Spring and Summer terms, the student may simply log into AIM and choose their accommodations from a list of pre-approved accommodations chosen specifically for that particular student.
Please log in to AIM DS Portal on the DS website at the beginning of the academic term to request your accommodations! If changes need to be made to the accommodations you receive, schedule a meeting with your Disability Services Counselor.
Each semester, log in to AIM or AIM DS Portal (You may be redirected to enter your MY CAMPUS credentials before returning to AIM)
- Under MY ACCOMMODATIONS, the student chooses LIST ACCOMMODATIONS
- Go to "Step 1: Select Class(es)" and check mark each class in which you are requesting accommodations
- Click on "Step 2-Continue to Customize Your Accommodations"
- Under "Select Accommodation for..." check each accommodation you want for that particular course.
- After you have finished this for each class, click on SUBMIT YOUR ACCOMMODATIONS REQUEST.
- **Please note when Disability Services sends the accommodation letter to faculty, you (the student) will also receive a copy of the letter in your A-State smail account.
REMEMBER: Go into your account in AIM into MY ACCOMMODATIONS and click on NOTETAKING SERVICES. Click on CONFIRM (IN BLUE) for the courses you will need note taking.
REMEMBER: GO IN TO AIM TO SCHEDULE YOUR EXAMS AT LEAST 3 DAYS IN ADVANCE. INSTRUCTIONS ARE UNDER "HELPFUL HINTS" ON THE DISABILITY SERVICES WEBSITE.
The following are the procedures that must be followed to ensure you receive your accommodations and faculty letters are sent in a timely manner:
- Request accommodations as early as possible in the academic term.
- Accommodations must be requested every semester, either in person or through AIM online.
- If there are accommodations that you have received in the past that are not in your list of choices, please contact your Disability Services Counselor. Policies have changed and accommodations involving absenteeism and making up exams and assignments must be requested and approved each academic term.
Request priority registration during an intake process with a Disability Services counselor. Graduate students and graduating seniors are not eligible for priority registration
- Priority registration is always open for 5 working days before senior students and graduate students can register for classes. i.e. If the graduate students and senior students can start to register for classes on November 5, students eligible for priority registration can register for classes on October 29 to November 2.
- All holds and advisor holds must be removed before a student can register for classes.
- Request technology accommodations during an intake process with a Disability Services Counselor.
- Meet with the DS Assistive Technology Specialist to discuss accommodation and for training session(s).
- Devices loaned out through Disability Services must be returned at the end of each semester.
- Make exams with specific instructions (i.e. open book/notes, calculators or scantrons) available to DS in a timely manner.
- Accommodate students who require extended time for quizzes and exams in the classroom.
- Provide a contact number and e-mail address to DS.
- Routinely check email and voice mail for DS messages.
- Keep DS updated regarding course requirements relative to students accommodation needs.
Disability Services recruits “Ghostwriters” or a volunteer note-takers who takes notes in their classes, and are willing to share a copy of their notes with a student with a disability.
- Request note taking accommodation during an intake process with a Disability Services Counselor.
- Pick up notes once a week.
- Contact Note taking Coordinator if notes are not received.
- Disability Services may contact faculty to assist in locating quality note takers. Please encourage students to volunteer.
- Drop notes off at Disability Services or email notes to Note taking coordinator. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Students who qualify for testing accommodations may take their exams in Disability Services or with their faculty with approved accommodations.
View Testing Accommodation brochure >>
- Request testing accommodation during an intake process with a Disability Services counselor
- Schedule your exam in writing either online or at the office. Exams must be scheduled at least 3-5 weekdays prior to the faculty members scheduled test date.
- Midterms, finals and exams in on-line classes must be scheduled in DS at the beginning of each semester.
- Come to Disability Services on the scheduled day and time to take your exam.
- Request physical accommodation during an intake process with a Disability Services counselor.
- Students requesting A-State Disability Parking sticker will need to follow this procedure >>