Winning Entries in Delta National Small Prints Exhibition at Bradbury Gallery through Feb. 20
JONESBORO – The 18th annual Delta National Small Prints Exhibition (DNSPE) continues through Feb. 20 at the Bradbury Gallery in the Fowler Center on the campus of Arkansas State University.
Artists from across the country and around the world submit their prints annually to be considered for inclusion in this exhibition.
The exhibition juror determines which prints will be included and selects the award winners, including the purchase prizes that become a part of the Permanent Collection of Art at Arkansas State. This blind process is conducted without the juror knowing the name or location of the artists; only the title, medium and dimensions of each print are known.
The juror, Anne Coffin, selected 54 prints by 46 artists for inclusion in the DNSPE. Coffin is the founder and director of International Print Center New York (IPCNY), a non-profit institution dedicated to the appreciation and understanding of fine art prints.
This year’s exhibition was dedicated to Don A. Tilton of Little Rock, a former vice president at ASU. According to Les Christensen, director of the Bradbury Gallery, Tilton is a devoted supporter of the gallery and this exhibition; he has been involved since its inception.
Funding for the DNSPE is provided through the generosity of several individuals.
The award-winning entries are as follows:
- Les Christensen Purchase Award (underwritten by Sharon and Evan Lindquist of Jonesboro): “ . . . Doctor . . . Lawyer . . .,” 2012, monoprint, by Florence Alfano McEwin.
- Lindquist Purchase Award (underwritten by Chucki and Curt Bradbury Jr. of Little Rock): David Avery, “Feeling a bit Lightheaded,” 2010, etching, by David Avery.
- Carol Thoren Christensen Purchase Award (in memory of Carol Thoren Christensen): “Fait Accompli,” 2012, lithograph, by Janet Ballweg.
- President’s Purchase Award (underwritten by Mandy and Dr. Charles Welch of Little Rock): “Carnival,” 2011, silver gelatin print, by John Bridges.
- Chancellor’s Purchase Award (underwritten by the Chancellor’s Cabinet, Arkansas State University): “Afternoon Facades,” 2011, white line wood cut, by Aline Feldman.
- Don A. Tilton Purchase Award (underwritten by Don A. Tilton of Little Rock): “Approach Avoidance,” 2011, sandblast mezzotint, by Donald Furst.
- Beth and Scot Snodgrass Purchase Award (underwritten by Beth and Dr. Scot Snodgrass of Jonesboro): “Liminal Growth,” 2011, etching, by Karla Hackenmiller.
- Chucki Bradbury Purchase Award (underwritten by a Special Endowment in Honor of Chucki Bradbury): “Smoked,” 2011, intaglio and chine collé, by Yuji Hiratsuka.
- Timothy F. Watson Sr. Purchase Award (underwritten by Claude M. Erwin Jr. of Dallas): “Field & Stream,” 2011, copper plate etching, by James Hubbard.
- Mary Ellen & Bob Warner Purchase Award (underwritten by Mary Ellen & Dr. Bob Warner of Jonesboro): “Washed Up II,” 2012, acrylic resist etching and spit bite aquatint, by Anita Hunt.
- Kerry & Cristian Murdock Purchase Award (underwritten by Kerry & Cristian Murdock of Jonesboro): “App (Room Series),” 2012, digital zone plate on coated Rives BFK, by Jerry Lamme.
- Brackett-Krennerich & Associates Architects Purchase Award (underwritten by Brackett-Krennerich & Associates Architects of Jonesboro): “Observation #18,” 2012, reductive linocut, by Michelle Martin.
- Teresa & Steve Owens Purchase Award (underwritten by Teresa & Steve Owens of Jonesboro): “Composition G,” 2012, multiple shaped etching plates, silkscreen, digital and chine collé, by Marilee Salvator.
- John F. Bowyer Purchase Award (underwritten by Donna & Dr. Don Bowyer of Jonesboro, in memory of John F. Bowyer): “Abu Christo,” 2012, screenprint, by Ephraim (Ed) Steinberg.
Juror’s Merit Awards were selected as follows:
- The Cheryl Wall Trimarchi Sponsorship: “Broken #7,” 2011, intaglio and chine collé, by Dorothy Chabay-Dempsey.
- Delta National Small Prints Exhibition Sponsorship: “Sycamore Moon,” 2011, 4-plate aluminum lithograph, by Raymond DeCicco.
- The Curtis Steele Sponsorship: “Clam Bake,” 2011, linoleum cut, by Patrick Simon.
- Jones Sponsorship in Memory of Phil and Flo Jones: “Atomic Malt Shop III,” 2011, 4-color process solarplate intaglio, by Chris Warot.
A full color catalog of the entire exhibition was produced for distribution to visitors and the artists.
Bradbury Gallery hours are noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 2 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and by appointment. The exhibition and the reception are admission-free and open to the public. For additional information please contact the Bradbury Gallery at (870) 972-2567.
# # #